Senate Bean Soup
Nutritional InformationServing Size: 1/10 recipe
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 165mg
- Total Carbs: 19g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 10g
Recipe courtesy of the Michigan Bean Board, www.michiganbean.org
This classic soup, born from the halls and cafeteria of the US Senate, is a hearty addition to any home kitchen.
Makes 3 quarts, about 10 servings
- 1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 1-1/2 pounds ham hocks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup mashed potato flakes or 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon each, nutmeg, oregano, and basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash and sort beans.
- In a large kettle, cover beans with 6 to 8 cups of hot water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Add another 2 quarts of cold water and ham bone. Bring to a boil; simmer 1 - 1/2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone, trim off meat, return to soup.