Berry Bean Bread
Nutritional InformationServing Size: 1/12 of loaf or 2 muffins
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 255 (36 from fat)
- Total Fat: 4 grams (14% of calories from fat, < 1g Saturated Fat)
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Sodium: 183mg
- Total Carbs: 48g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 7g
Makes 1 loaf of bread or 24 muffins (12 servings)
3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup white, granulated sugar (can use low calorie sugar substitute)
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cup cooked navy beans, cooked without salt
2/3 cup orange juice
1 large egg
1 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Puree navy beans with orange juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Add pureed navy beans, egg, and milk, to flour mixture. Stir just until flour mixture is moistened.
- Add orange peel, blueberries, cranberries and walnuts to flour and bean mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Pour into greased loaf pan or divide between 24 muffin cups (greased or lined with paper liner). Bake for loaf for 20-30 minutes (bake muffins for 15-20 minutes) or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from loaf pan or muffin cups. Store in airtight container.