Butternut Squash & Cannelloni Bean Soup with BaconAugust 12, 2010
If you are rushed for time, use frozen butternut squash (thawed) for this recipe. Omit the bacon and use vegetable stock if you prefer a vegetarian version.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 thick bacon slices, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 15-ounce cans, undrained, or 5 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged cannelloni (white kidney beans)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Sauté bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Add chopped onion and garlic to drippings in pot; sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; bring to boil. Stir in butternut squash, 1 can cannelloni, drained tomatoes, and fresh rosemary.
- In a food processor puree remaining 2 cans cannelloni with 3 cups chicken broth until smooth; add to soup.
- Cover and simmer until butternut squash is tender and flavors blend, about 15 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped bacon and serve.