Cajun Bean, Corn & Shrimp BisqueAugust 12, 2010
This low-fat soup gets its creamy texture from cream style corn rather than cream.
Makes 4 servings (about 1 2/3 cups each)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 medium potato, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged red or pink beans
- 1 cup frozen thawed or canned cream-style corn
- 8 to 12 ounces peeled, deveined shrimp
- In a large saucepan with butter sauté onion, thyme, marjoram and crushed red pepper until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in milk and potato; heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, beans and corn, and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes, adding shrimp during the last 5 minutes.