Chicken, Bean & Wild Rice SaladAugust 12, 2010
Wild rice, beans and pecans make the perfect combination in this easy to make salad.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice, cooked without spice packet, cooled
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged light or dark red kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged black beans or pinto beans
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 cup frozen, thawed peas
- Raspberry Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups spinach leaves
- 12 to 16 ounces broiled or grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced or cubed
- 1 can (15 ounces) julienne beets, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecan halves (optional)
- In a large bowl combine rice, beans, orange segments, and peas; pour 2/3 cup Raspberry Vinaigrette over and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon salad onto spinach-lined plates, arrange chicken on salad; spoon beets to the side.
- Drizzle remaining 1/3 cup Raspberry Vinaigrette over beets and chicken.
- Sprinkle with pecans, if desired.
Makes about 1 cup
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup raspberry or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or red onion
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Whisk together all ingredients. Prepare ahead, refrigerate until serving time. Mix again before using.
TIP: To save time, store
- bought raspberry vinaigrette dressing can be used. To cool rice quickly, spread cooked rice on a cookie sheet and refrigerate.