MinestroneAugust 12, 2010
This bounty of vegetables in a soup pot is ready in 30 minutes or less, depending on whether you use fresh, frozen or canned vegetables. Serve with a crusty whole grain bread and grated cheese.
Makes 12 servings
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged dark or light red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 pound green string beans, cut into 1/2 -inch lengths, or canned green beans, drained
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Posted in: Recipes, Soups & Chilis
- Over medium heat in a large stockpot, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Do not brown.
- Add cabbage, celery, carrot, string beans, and potato and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans and pasta. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is slightly chewy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of cheese over each serving.