Rough Rider ChiliAugust 12, 2010
This recipe was created David Prosser of Fargo, North Dakota.
Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds ground beef
- Chili Spice Mixture (recipe follows)
- 2 15-ounce cans, rinsed and drained, or 3 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged kidney beans
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1-1/2 cups dark beer (NOTE: Non-alcoholic beer may be substituted. )
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Assorted garnishes: shredded cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream
- In a large pot sauté onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic in oil until tender, about 5 minutes; stir in beef.
- Cook over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes; drain fat.
- Stir in Chilli Spice Mixture and remaining ingredients, except garnishes.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 2 – 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle chilli into bowls and serve with assorted garnishes.
Chilli Spice Mixture
Makes about 1/4 cup
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients.