Tortilla & Rice SoupAugust 12, 2010
Lime juice gives this soup a zesty kick. Serve with extra tortilla chips and sour cream for a garnish.
- Vegetable cooking spray, as needed
- 1/3 cup green onions, sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged cannelloni beans
- 1 10.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast cubes
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles, chopped, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Tortilla chips, as needed
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 medium avocado, cut into small cubes
- Lime slices and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat a large pot coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions; cook and stir until tender.
- Add broth, rice, beans, tomatoes and juice, chicken and chillies. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and salt.
- Just before serving, pour into soup bowls; top with tortilla chips, tomato and avocado.
- Garnish with lime slices and cilantro.