White Bean ChiliAugust 12, 2010
Use any white bean for this recipe — lima, Great Northern, or navy.
Makes 6 main dish servings
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeqo chili, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, cut into fourths
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 15-ounce cans, rinsed and drained, or 3 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged white beans
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- White pepper
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced green or black olives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Sauté chopped onions, garlic, gingerroot and jalapeño chilli for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cover and cook, until mushrooms are wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add chicken, beans, chicken broth and herbs; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf; season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Spoon chilli into bowls; sprinkle each serving with tomato, green onion, olives and cilantro.