Bean Pies in Flower PotsAugust 13, 2010
Flower pots make a clever presentation for these bean pot pies, but any custard cup can be substituted
Makes 6 servings
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged pinto beans
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Pepper to taste
- 6 biscuits, plain, lower-fat, refrigerator dough
Posted in: Beans & Poultry, Recipes
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté carrot, onion, pepper, celery, and mushrooms until tender. Stir in flour and herbs. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often. Add pinto beans, chicken broth, chicken and peas.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Season to taste with pepper.
- Pour mixture into six 6 ounce clay flower pots, custard cups, or soufflé dishes. Top each with a biscuit.
- Bake pies in oven until biscuits are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Place pies on plates and serve.