Beananza BarsAugust 13, 2010
These granola-like whole grain bars make a great grab and go snack or a quick breakfast.
Makes about 32 2-inch brownies
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup natural wheat and barley cereal (Grape Nuts)
- 1 can (15 ounces each) Pinto or Great Northern beans or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged pinto or Great Northern beans, rinsed, well drained, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup dark raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- 7 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cereal, beans, raisins, dates, coconut, and walnuts. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Press mixture evenly into greased 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Bake until bars are browned and firm to touch in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
- 1 2/3 cups low fat granola cereal can be substituted for oats and natural wheat and barley cereal.
- Use a pastry cutter to chop beans quickly and easily.