Beans & Turkey Franks Tuscan-StyleAugust 13, 2010
Try this dish with Chianti wine and a green salad.
Makes 6 servings (about 1 cup each)
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged red beans
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged Great Northern beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook sausage in covered skillet over medium heat with 1/4 cup water until sausage is cooked through, about 8 minutes; uncover and continue cooking until sausage is browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool slightly; cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Cook bell peppers, onion and garlic in oil in covered large skillet over medium heat until vegetables are tender and soft, but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Combine sausage, peppers, and remaining ingredients in 2quart casserole.
- Bake, covered for 30 minutes; uncover and bake to desired thickness, about 1 hour.