Blackeyed Beans & Carrot CakeAugust 13, 2010
The dynamic duo of peas and carrots takes a sweet turn with this sweet dessert.
Makes 12 servings
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking poweder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots (3 medium), lightly packed
- 1 cup cooked or canned black eyed peas, drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange juice and orange rind (the batter may looked curdled). Blend in flour mixture. Stir in carrots, blackeyed peas and pecans.
- Bake 55 – 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan completely on wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over top.