Fettuccine, Chicken & Beans AlfredoAugust 13, 2010
This is a tasty, lower-fat version of a rich, traditional Italian dish.
Makes 6 servings
- 12 to 16 ounces chicken breast, cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions and tops
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged red or light red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, or reduced-fat Italian-blend cheese
- 8 ounces fettuccine, cooked, warm
Posted in: Beans & Pasta, Recipes
- In a large saucepan sauté chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until browned and no longer pink in the center, 5 to 8 minutes; remove chicken and reserve.
- Add green onions and garlic and sauté in remaining 2 tablespoons butter until tender, 3 to 4 minutes; stir in flour and basil and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in milk and heat to boiling; boil, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in reserved chicken, beans and peas; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Spoon over fettuccine and toss.