Kidney Bean & Cheesy Rice CasseroleAugust 13, 2010
One pot, one hour, one great meal.
Makes 8 servings
- 2 15-ounce cans, rinsed and drained, or 3 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged dark red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) jar no-salt-added picante sauce
- 8 cups cooked rice, no salt added
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat water in a nonstick skillet.
- Add onion, cumin, and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Set aside.
- Combine dark red kidney beans and picante sauce together; spread 2 cups of this mixture in the bottom of 9 x 13 inch baking pan coated with non fat cooking spray.
- Layer 4 cups of rice over bean mixture. Arrange tomato slices on top of rice. Layer spinach mixture, remaining rice, and 2 cups of bean mixture over tomato slices. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon sour cream on top of each serving.