Pasta e FagioliAugust 13, 2010
This ultimate comfort food dish, a cross between soup and pasta, was made famous by these lyrics: “When the stars make you drool just like pasta fazule. That’s amore.”
Makes 6-8 servings
- 10 ounces (1-1/4 cups) dry navy beans, soaked
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, whole, plus 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 to 7 tomatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1/2 pound shell macaroni
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Drain beans, cover with water. Add salt, 2/3 cup oil, bay leaf, and whole garlic cloves. Simmer gently until beans are tender, 2 to 3 hours. Drain, reserving liquid; discard bay leaf and garlic.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large frying pan. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until onion is soft.
- Add crushed garlic and seasonings and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook another 10 minutes.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain.
- Combine beans, vegetables, and drained pasta with 1 – 1/2 cups bean liquid. Cover and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with grated parmesan cheese.