Pasta with Beans & Greens (Vegetarian)August 13, 2010
Greens and beans complement this traditional vegetarian pasta dish.
Makes 4 servings
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 4 cups torn kale or spinach leaves
- 3 cups raisins
- 2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged navy or Great Northern beans
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta, cooked, warm
- 2 to 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 2 to 4 ounces parmesan cheese, coarsely shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Sauté onion, mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add kale, raisins, and chicken broth to skillet; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until kale is wilted, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in beans and cook until broth is evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir bean mixture into pasta; sprinkle with half parmesan cheese and pine nuts and toss.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.