Pecan Praline CheesecakeAugust 13, 2010
Pump up the protein and the flavor with this southern treat. This cake can be wrapped and frozen before adding the maple syrup glaze and pecans. Thaw in a refrigerator, overnight.
Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 8 ounce packages low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups cooked blackeyed peas, drained and rinsed, or one 15-ounce can
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Maple syrup and pecan halves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine crumbs, sugar and melted butter, press into the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Bake 5 – 6 minutes until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, blackeyes and flour, blend at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Gradually add brown sugar, blend until smooth. Add eggs yolks, beating well after each addition.
- In another large bowl, whip eggs whites until stiff and glossy, but not dry. Fold egg whites and nuts into cream cheese mixture. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the center is almost set.
- With a knife, loosen the cake from the rim of the pan. Cool on a wire rack, cover and chill. Remove pan rim.
- Brush with maple syrup and garnish with pecan halves.