Pink Beans with Chicken Breasts, Oranges & WalnutsAugust 13, 2010
Warm spices and fresh oranges make this a perfect winter dish. Recipe from The Instant Bean by Sally and Martin Stone.
Makes 4 main-dish servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons medium-dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged pink beans
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 navel oranges, peeled, the sections cut free from the membranes
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, over moderately high heat, bring the oil to rippling.
- Add the chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until it just turns white, about 1 minute.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the oil remaining in the pan, cook the onions, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and stir in the orange juice, broth, sherry, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and raisins and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer, covered, for 2 minutes or more.
- Add the reserved chicken pieces, walnuts, and orange sections and cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is just tender.
- Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- With a fork, mash some of the beans and stir to thicken the gravy.
- Sprinkle with the scallions and serve.