Shrimp & Red Beans CreoleAugust 13, 2010
This classic dish is a staple in New Orleans homes and restaurant kitchens. Serve over rice, with a salad, for a complete meal.
Makes 6-8 servings
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf, broken
- Hot pepper sauce
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged kidney beans
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, deveined
- 6-8 cups cooked rice
- Heat butter or oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery, green pepper, garlic until soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and paprika, sprinkle over vegetables.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf and season with hot pepper sauce to taste. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat, stir often and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until thickened. Add water if the sauce is too thick.
- About 20 minutes before serving, drain and rinse beans. Add beans, peeled shrimp to sauce. Heat over low heat for about 10 minutes. Serve over hot rice.