Bean Stuffed ZucchiniSeptember 18, 2013
Makes 4 main dish servings or 8 side dish servings
2 medium zucchini (main dish) or 4 small zucchini (side dish)
2/3 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ cup no salt added tomato sauce, divided into ½ cup portions
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups cooked cranberry beans, cooked without salt
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash zucchini and trim ends. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving ¼ inch shell.
- Chop zucchini pulp and reserve for later use.
- Sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil until softened.
- Add chopped zucchini pulp, parsley, oregano, black pepper, ½ cup tomato sauce and sea salt. Simmer over low heat until zucchini pulp is softened (~ 10 minutes).
- Add beans to zucchini mixture. Stir to combine.
- Remove zucchini and bean mixture from heat. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Pour ½ cup of tomato sauce into baking dish. Spread to coat bottom of dish.
- Add stuffed zucchini to baking dish. Pour ½ cup tomato sauce over zucchini.
10. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
11. Uncover dish and bake an additional 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.Posted in: Low Sodium, Recipes, Vegetarian Dishes