Chicken Red Bean CreoleSeptember 18, 2013
Makes 6 main dish servings (1 ½ cups per serving)
1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
1 can (14.5 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes, do not drain
1 cup chili sauce
1 ½ cups green bell pepper, chopped (~ 1 large pepper)
½ cup celery, chopped (~ 1 ¼ stalks)
¼ cup white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes)
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup no salt added chicken stock
2 cups cooked red kidney beans, cooked without salt
- Spray a stockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat stockpot over high heat.
- Cook chicken strips in hot stockpot, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until strips are no longer pink.
- Reduce heat. Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, red pepper and chicken stock.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add small red beans. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Serving suggestion—serve over rice or pasta.