Heart Health BarsSeptember 18, 2013
Makes 18 bars
1 cup white, granulated sugar (can use low-calorie sugar substitute)
1 cup soy flour
¾ cup all-purpose or wheat flour
¾ cup oat bran
¾ cup flax seed, ground
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ cups cooked black beans, cooked without salt
¾ cup orange juice
1 cup nonfat milk
1 large egg
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine white sugar, soy flour, white flour, oat bran, flax seed, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Puree navy beans with orange juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Add pureed navy beans, milk, egg, brown sugar and vanilla to flour mixture. Stir just until flour mixture is moistened.
- Add cranberries and walnuts to flour and bean mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes. Cut into bars. Refrigerate up to 7 days or freeze up to 1 month.