Moroccan Tomato SoupSeptember 18, 2013
Makes 6 main dish servings (2 cups per serving)
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) no salt added tomatoes, diced, do not drain
4 cups water or no salt added chicken stock
¼ cup fresh dill
½ cup fresh parsley
4 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
4 ½ cups cooked cranberry beans or garbanzo beans, cooked without salt
5 ounces prewashed baby spinach
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, and cumin. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add honey, cinnamon, tomatoes (with juice), water (or chicken stock), dill, parsley, Balsamic vinegar and beans. Stir well.
- Simmer 45 minutes. (If thicker soup is desired, use potato masher to mash some of beans after soup has simmered 30 minutes.)
- Stir in spinach and heat just until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Can be served with fat free sour cream or plain yogurt.