Polenta with Beans and PeppersSeptember 18, 2013
Makes 6 main dish servings or 12 side dish servings
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided into 2 tablespoon portions
¾ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
¾ cup fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart no salt added chicken broth
1 cup course ground cornmeal
2 tablespoons sun dried tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded; divided into ½ cup and ¼ cup portions
1 large orange bell pepper, cut in strips
1 large yellow bell pepper, cut in strips
1 large red bell pepper, cut in strips
3 cups cooked small red beans or black beans, cooked without salt
- In large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Sauté until onions are translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Turn heat to high. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Gradually add cornmeal while whisking continuously. Once all cornmeal is added, reduce heat to low.
- Stir in sun dried tomato and basil. Cook and stir 10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and pepper. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour into 9 x 13 pan lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate to cool completely.
- Sauté orange, yellow and red bell pepper strips in skillet using remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once pepper strips are tender, add beans and stir until beans are warm. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Once polenta is cool, cut into 6 pieces. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 inches from heat for 5 minutes. Turn and broil 5-6 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Top polenta slices with bell pepper and bean mixture. Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.